The Trans-Pacific Partnership Trade Agreement (TPP)
and What YouCan Do to Impact the Biggest Trade Deal Ever
TUESDAY, MAY 28th, 6:30 PM to 9 PM
ALL SOULS UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST CHURCH
1157 Lexington Ave. between 79th and 80th Streets, NYC
Co-sponsored by the All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church, Peace & Justice Task Force, and Sierra Club’s New York State and New York City TPP Task Forces
The TPP, a trade agreement the U.S. is negotiating with 11 other nations, will outsource more U.S. jobs, prohibit regulation of the banking industry, and expand corporate intellectual property rights that curtail Internet freedom and limit access to lifesaving generic drugs. It will also grant foreign corporations the power to sue our government when U.S. laws block their environmentally destructive projects and toxic products.
The TPP is shrouded in secrecy. The Administration intends to complete negotiations by October 2013 with almost no media attention or input from the public and Congress. President Obama has said he’ll ask Congress to grant him Fast Track Authority, which will force Congress to vote on the TPP without changing a single word of it.
That’s where we come in….
On May 28th,
At All Souls Unitarian Universalist Church, 1157 Lexington Ave.
Doors will open at 6:30 PM for a reception with light refreshments. You can sign in, pick up meeting materials, and check out who your Congress Member is.
Panel begins at 7:00 PM with the following speakers:
- Alisa Simmons, National Field Director at Public Citizen’s Global Trade Watch
- Kenneth Peres, Chief Economist at Communications Workers of America
- Ilana Solomon, Trade Rep at Sierra Club
- Manuel Perez-Rocha, Associate Fellow at Institute for Policy Studies
- Adam Weissman, Moderator, founder of Global Justice for Animals and the Environment
8:00 PM – 9:00 PM
We’ll split into groups by congressional district for information on how to call, write, and lobby our Congress Members. We’ll make use of the Sierra Club Lobbyist Toolkit. You can check out the toolkit ahead of time here: http://www.sierraclub.org/trade/toolkit/Meet%20with%20your%20Member%20of%20Congress.pdf
Our goals are to
- Express our concerns about TPP with our Senators and Congress Members.
- Ask your representatives to obtain a copy of the agreed-on TPP texts to share with you.
- Ask your representatives to publicly pledge to vote against Fast Track.
THE MEETING WILL END AT 9 PM
ADMISSION IS FREE – DONATIONS ARE WELCOME