To create an informed and interactive approach to environmental issues.
· To point up the problems, discuss the solutions, mobilize action and praise the achievements of those who are successfully addressing the issues;
· To promote awareness of urban and global environmental issues, i.e. clean energy and climate change;
· To showcase products, services, technology, programs and research that can make our lives more environmentally friendly;
· To provide environmental groups with space and opportunity to gain members and volunteers, while presenting their message to the general public;
· To provide the public with opportunities to get actively involved by joining and volunteering with environmental groups and learning how to make their voices heard by politicians and the media;
· To have a dynamic event with multiple environmental education opportunities and practical solutions, especially for our children, who are the gatekeepers of the future.
· To integrate environmentally safe choices for effective use within a day-to-day lifestyle.
Launched as an environmental event where people could obtain information, get involved, find products, learn about services and be informed and entertained by people who care about the environment. ECOFEST started as a visionary educational program to make this a better world. Twenty nine years later it is still going strong, supporting environmental causes and issues. ECOFEST is a cultural and educational environmental festival, free to the public, that is organized and produced by the West Side Cultural Center in New York. In its twenty nine year track record, ECOFEST has developed an unequaled base of public and private sector support and is a mainstay on the New York City calendar of events. It has brought thousands of people to the Riverside Park, Damrosch Park at Lincoln Center Plaza, Central Park, Battery Park City the USS Intrepid and now at Times Square, cornerstone of the world. ECOFEST and its participants benefit from publicity, promotions and extensive advertising, and has always been generously covered and supported by local, regional and national media of all formats since it began.
A major focus of ECOFEST is conservation of our natural resources and innovative alternative-energy technologies. The SEOTO (Sources of Energy Other Than Oil) Alternative Fuels Display which demonstrates a wide variety of alternative-energy vehicles – ranging from prototypes of solar cars to electric, natural-gas, hybrid, fuel cell and ethanol vehicles already in use by private businesses and many New York City and New York State Agencies. The vehicles stay on display with exciting demonstrations and activities scheduled throughout the day. In addition to the SEOTO Alternative Energy Display, ECOFEST’s regular features include the ECO-FASHION SHOW on the World Solar Stage presenting collections made of 100% organic and recycled material and exhibits focusing in eco products and services, handicrafts, agencies and healthy food. Many children’s eco-activities, health and fitness and NYCACC pet adoptions throughout the day.
ART COMPETITION AND EXHIBIT (in association with UFT/NYCATA): ECOFEST starts in the beginning of the year with the successful citywide Environmental Arts Program that provides the artwork that is the cover of the program and centerpiece of the annual official ECOFEST poster. The competition is open to all NYC Public Schools and the selection of the winning artwork is made by prestigious artists such as LeRoy Neiman and Peter Max. All honorable mentions and finalists’ artwork is displayed for 3 weeks in a public space in New York. In the past years the exhibit was hosted by the Time Warner Building, the Bloomingdale Library, the Park Central Hotel and most recently the stunning Landmarked Building of the Apple Bank for Savings at West 73rd Street and Broadway. Since 2011, Peter Max has been the judge with performers and elected officials at the opening.